OCCUPATIONAL WELLNESS
Focusing on Improving Your Life

For those that work in our outside the home, it is important that we take some time to focus on our occupational wellness.

For the month of May, we will work together to improve your life in the workforce.

What is Occupational Wellness?
Occupational wellness is not a single definition or idea. Overall it is the balance between work and leisure time while balancing workload and stress. There are ways you can limit your work stress and keep your occupational wellness at an optimum level.

The Dimension of Wellness

When focusing on our wellness we are trying to keep a healthy balance in our physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. It also includes social, emotional, environmental, occupational, intellectual, and physical wellness.

Things That Affect Our Occupational Wellness

1. Work environment and design
2. Work hours and time off allowed
3. Lack of social support
4. The conflict between work and family commitments
5. Fairness and justice at work This does not exist in my work environment.
6. Layoffs and economic insecurity
7. Health insurance and benefits

If you are like me finding that you no longer enjoy your job you need to do an evaluation of what is not working, what you want, and what can be changed to make it better.

So, for example, I dread the micromanaging environment. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to change the situation. When you work for a single supervisor and you are the only worker under them you really have no choice but to ride the boat how they see it fits.

First, you have to determine do you still love what you do? If so then start networking, start improving your skills for your resume, and start job searching for some opportunities.

If you are like me you no longer want to continue with your career think about returning to college, find something that is appealing and starts working towards gaining skills in that area.

I personally chose to go back to school and changing my career completely. I am now feeling excited and ambitious about my future.




Improving the Current Environment
Although we cannot always change things to make it functional or better for ourselves like in my situation there are other things we can do to make the environment better until we find a place that works for us.
  • Add plants to your workplace to keep the air fresh and reduce stress.
  • Add colors on the wall to enhance your mood.
  • Improve your lighting and try to avoid fluorescent by adding incandescent lights, skylights, or windows.
  • Make sure your office is not causing more stress and allows you comfort.
  • Improve your work technology so you can work effectively and efficiently.

Here are some things I did so far. I do not access to sunlight or window so plants are not always ideal in my situation. However, I do have an air purifier to help clean the air in my office area.

  • Instead of panel cubicles consider glass cubicles so you feel are more space.
  • I add daily work inspiration to my wall or bookshelf to remind me to stay focused, positive, and work through my mood for the day.

Share with us some of your ideas and stress factors related to work.



https://momtikihut.net/groupitems/topic/view/group_id/91/topic_id/6418/tab/227
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

☼ Go Green Challenge

დ Parenting Challenge

Come Alive - Life is a Journey